Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 14 - 17: Remaking the old and being excited about the new

Hi there,

I've been crazy busy these past few days, so I'm going to keep this blog sort and sweet.  I've had a few great days eating clean and in my prep for the week - I made an old recipe (old, but only made it once!) and made a new recipe (that I love!!).

The old recipe:  Chia Seed Pudding. I made it once before and loved it...and didn't try it again until I wanted a bit of something sweet and clean.  So I revisited this recipe and decided - it is a WINNER!!

I'm copying and pasting the recipe so you don't have to read through the whole blog to get the recipe ... unless you want to, you can click HERE! :)
Chia Seed Pudding (serving 4)
Ingredients
·         1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk
·         1 cup plain low-fat (2 percent) Greek yogurt
·         2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably grade B), plus 4 teaspoons for serving*
·         1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·         Kosher salt
·         1/4 cup chia seeds
·         1 pint strawberries, hulled and chopped
·         1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
*I bought Grade A organic maple syrup for this recipe and I still will say - you DO NOT need the extra 4 teaspoons for serving.  It is sweet enough with out that drizzle!! :)
Directions
In a medium bowl, gently whisk the almond milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt until just blended. 
Whisk in the chia seeds; let stand 30 minutes. 
Stir to distribute the seeds if they have settled. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, in a medium bowl, toss the berries with the remaining 4 teaspoons maple syrup. Mix in the almonds. Spoon the pudding into 4 bowls or glasses; mound the berry mixture on top and serve. 

I also made a recipe I found online.  I wanted a meatball...and wasn't sure how to make them with out bread crumbs.  Yes, I could have made my own with whole wheat - but I knew there had to be an alternative.  I was right!!   So I made the below recipe - for Meatballs, though I got lazy (um...you know I'm lazy, right?) and instead of rolling meatballs, I used an ice cream scoop and plopped them into a muffin pan! 

So - here is the recipe... (now, this isn't the exact recipe that I found, I tweaked it to what I had in the house - either way - it is now my new "go to" meatball!!  Even Dave liked it!!!!!

Turkey Quinoa Meat Cups (ha!)
·         1 ¼ pound ground turkey
·         1 cup cooked quinoa
·         ½ medium yellow onion, grated
·         2 garlic cloves, minced
·         ½ cup grated zucchini (about 1 large or 2 small zucchini)
·         ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
·         1 tablespoon of Italian seasons
·         ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
·         1 egg, beaten
·         6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS:

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet (muffin pan) with non-stick cooking spray or line with a Silpat baking mat.
2.       In a large bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT tomato sauce. I use my hands, because you don’t want to over-mix this or it will get tough.
3.       Form into a meatloaf shape on your prepared baking sheet. Mine was long, skinny, and short because I didn't want to have to bake it forever.
4.       Bake for 50-60 minutes or until meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.

SO - the picture below is the meat cup, along with my quinoa salad with black beans, edamame, chickpeas and goat cheese.  Yum.  I've eaten these meatballs every day since I've made them.  They are moist, delicious and oh so good!!! 

And the below picture is my chia seed pudding with fresh berries and bananas.  Soooo good!  It really can be a dessert!  The pudding doesn't 'set' like a traditional pudding.  Maybe - more chia seeds would make it more gelatinous...but either way - it is GOOD!!

So, I will be a few days before I blog again - Life is getting in the way again, but in a good way.  So I'll leave you with this: 


Believe in yourself - because I believe in YOU!  Know that  I'll see you in a few days and update how Day 18-22 went next week.  

Until Next Time...
EAT (fun things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment